Tuesday, June 21, 2011

DIY Cocktail Hour.

One of my favorite things in the world are cocktail napkins. The designs and humor printed on most of them makes it very hard for me not to purchase a pack {or two}. But since I don’t host any cutesy cocktail parties and instead are having parties that involve canned drinks in cozies, it makes buying these napkins kind of useless. That was until I decided to make them into coasters so I could keep them forever. Little did I know they would become the perfect housewarming present to all my family and friends the past year. So I thought I would share my little project with the blogging world.
First of all, I purchased a handful of 4”x4” titles from Home Depot for about 16 cents apiece, as well as a piece of corkboard. {When I first did this project, I found rounded pieces of flattened cork that worked ideally. But with a corkboard it’s still easy but just needs to be cut to size.}  
In preparation I cut the cork pieces into the size of 2”x2” and used my hot glue gun to adhere a piece of cork to the underside of the tile. While the glue was setting, start cutting the cocktail napkin into a square that would completely fit the title as well as cover the four sides. Apply a thin layer of Mod-Podge using a sponge brush to the tile, and then apply the square of napkin in the center. Once you’ve smoothed it out to get rid of wrinkles or bubbles, apply another thin layer of Mod-Podge so the entire piece of napkin is sandwiched between adhesive. Set aside to dry and do the rest. Wait until the tiles are dry to the touch to do another layer on top.
Since these are going to be made into coasters and usually get wet, I decided to also add a layer of polyurethane with a different sponge brush once the coaster sat overnight. I always do two of everything {better safe than sorry} so I did two coats of that as well.
Once dry, there you go! I love to mix and match different prints with a few that have quotes/captions. To give them away as housewarming gifts, just take four tiles and tie a piece of ribbon around them. These are actually going to my best friend’s new apartment. She’s a wine drinker and the quirkiness of the coasters will be a perfect accent to her new home!
Update: My bestie sent me a picture of her using them! I quickly took that as an invitation to go over there and have a glass {or two.} Ahh, love my friends.

5 comments:

Emily said...

Love your craftiness. I believe you have a box project to work on as well?? Love yoooouuuuu

Sarah said...

This is such a great idea! Thanks for sharing!

BelleinBows said...

Brilliant idea! I can't wait to try this! Thanks for passing along.

Morgan said...

I have done this before! But yours turned out a lot cuter! Mine got a little but too messed up! But I love yours with the quote!

I also LOVE your blog! It is soooo cute! I Cannot wait to read more from you! :)

XOXO

Alexandra Bee Blog said...

What a PERFECT idea, I love it!! They also make clear plastic coasters that have a spot for you to slide cocktail napkins in! I think your DIY project is way better, but it might be fun to get some so you can switch 'em out more easily! Thanks for stopping by my blog today, can't wait to read more of yours!